RULES AND REGULATIONS
- The exhibition will be held in the building of the Durham
Community Centre, grounds of Durham Agricultural Society and
- Payment of five dollars will constitute an annual agricultural society
membership and exhibitor fee, one membership card will be issued.
- Each exhibitor must be a member of the Durham Agricultural
Society before entries will be accepted. 4-H, Junior Calf Club, Hunter
Jumper Horse and Western Horse Exhibitors, Junior Exhibitors,
Group Display and Senior Citizens are not required to be members,
BUT on entering regular classes, a membership will be required. This
will be strictly enforced.
NOTE: Exhibitors are requested to call the Secretary to secure a
- In case an error occurs in the printing of the prize list, the Directors
have power to rectify the same.
- All produce exhibited must be the property of the exhibitor. When
more than one party enters for the same produce there must be a
partnership having a common interest in such exhibit.
- Each animal must be provided a chain or rope and be led into the
show ring among those of its class.
- Animals must have attached to them a number of which to
- All produce must be the grovvth of the current year excepting small
seeds, which may be the growth of the present or previous year and
must have been grown by the exhibitor.
- All farm implements must be on the grounds before 10 a.m. on
the second day and remain on exhibition until 4:30 p.m ..
- Any person showing the same animal in the same Show as
competing for two different prizes, except in team or especially
mentioned or defrauding or attempting to defraud the Society, shall
be deprived of any prize whatsoever at the same show and be
expelled from the Society. This clause will be strictly enforced.
- The Directors shall have the authority to refuse any entry
suspected of being diseased in any way.
- Exhibitors will be required to bring forward their stock when
called by the judges, as no animal will be judged unless brought
- An exhibitor is limited to one entry per section of any
class, excepting in livestock; and an exhibitor shall make no
more than two entries in each section in these classes.
- No one will be allowed to interfere, by conversation, or
otherwise with a judge, while said judge is on duty, judging a class.
- Judges may use their own discretion as to awarding a first,
second or third premium, and in all cases where they do not think
the animal or article worthy, they may withhold any prize.
- In all cases of doubt or difficulty that may arise before making
their awards, the judges shall submit the matter to one of the
Directors and the President and two or more Directors may finally
settle the same. Any member appealing against the Judges’
decision shall deposit $10.00 with the Secretary, the same to be
forfeited if the appeal is not sustained. The decision of the Board to
be final. All appeals must be in the hands of the Secretary within
three days after Show Day.
- Produce and domestic exhibits must be delivered not later
than 11 :30 a.m. on the First Day of the Fair. No exhibitors will be
allowed in the exhibit hall on the first afternoon of the Fair, until
judging is completed. Once the exhibit is in place the exhibit is not
to be moved again by the exhibitor or the public other than by the
Directors in charge. All entries must be entered on entry forms
provided in this book and left in Secretary’s office prior to judging.
- All exhibits in the Community Centre MUST NOT BE
REMOVED UNTIL 4:30 p.m. on the second day of the exhibition.
The Society is not responsible for indoor exhibits not removed
after 4:30 p.m.
- No person shall conduct or carry out any gambling, theatrical
circus, mountebank performance, exhibitions or shows, on
exhibition grounds. Nor shall any person without consent and
permission of the Directors, carry on any traffic fruit, goods, wares
or merchandise on the exhibition grounds
- In case of bad or unfavourable weather or other reason causing
the receipts to fall short of paying the expenses an prizes in full, a
proportionate amount exclusive of members will be deducted from
such prize to enable the Directors to balance the accounts without
- Prize list open to all, irrespective of residence unless otherwise
- Where the Board has reason to believe a member or of
exhibitor of farm products, animals or other goods has committed a
fraud or made misrepresentation in respect of such farm products,
animal or other goods, the Board may withhold payment of any
premium or prize to such person such person proves to the
satisfaction of the Board that no fraud or misrepresentation has
- Every person who violates any of the provisions of this
Constitution or the regulations shall be guilty of an offence on
summary conviction where no penalty is provided shall be liable to
a penalty of not more than $100.00.
- While the Directors will take every possible precaution under
the circumstances to secure the safety of the articles sent to the
exhibition, the owners themselves must take the risk of exhibiting.
- Next year’s membership will be retained from each exhibitor
winning over $6.00 in prize money. Any prize money totalling
less than $1.00 will not be paid.
- On all amounts over $20.00 won by any member, 10 percent
will be retained by the Society with the exception of cash classes
and junior exhibitors.
- The Society will not be responsible for the payment of Special
Prizes. All prizes in goods must be claimed before December 31st,
of the current year.
- Prize money offered as specials must be paid in full prior to the
- All prize money will be mailed by cheque unless previous paid
by cash. The names of cash prize winners MUST be recorded
on official Fall Fair paperwork. NOTE that all cheques should be
cashed within 6 months. All prize money cheques not cashed
within 6 months will be null and void, and money will be retained
by the Society.
- The Society will not hold itself liable for any accidents
happening at the Fair. Every Officer and Director shall be
indemnified and saved harmless out of the funds of the Society
from against all costs, charges and expenses incurred in and about
any action or suit brought against him in respect of a deed
performed during the execution of his office except where charges
or expenses are incurred as a result of his own wilful neglect or
- Should the Premises ID Certificate become mandatory shall be
posted in the Fair Book, at the Fair Secretary’s Desk and in the
- Livestock exhibitors must carry $2 million insurance.
- Entry forms must be filled out or prize money will not be paid.
- Any information collected by the Agricultural Society regarding
members, exhibitors, commercial exhibitor, sponsors, or Directors
and any other persons related directly to the business of the
Agricultural Society and the Fair, and for the maintenance of their
files and data base. Any member, exhibitor, commercial exhibitor,
sponsor or Director realize that when they agree to take pa11 in the
Agricultural Society and the Fair, that their names may be
published for these reasons only. None of this information
whatsoever will be; or transferred to any outside party for any
- While the Directors recognize that Social Media is a tool please
refrain from any inappropriate comments and/or posts directed to
the Durham Agricultural Society or Fall Fair.